We're only two weeks away from our second annual production of MACARIO! Our artists are putting the finishing touches on what is sure to be the most incredible spectacle in Teatro Visión's history. Our hard-working staff is busy securing the final logistics. And the board is planning a fantastic Gala Night celebration to honor our 30th anniversary!
The only thing missing is YOU...
Tickets for MACARIO are available now online for as little as $15. Order yours today to get $5 off the door price with our advance rate.
We also have reduced rates for groups, families, educators, and students. Please email our Community Engagement Manager Juan Carlos Miranda for more information.
We look forward to seeing you at the theater!
What's new with MACARIO for 2014?
From the day we set out to create our adaptation of MACARIO more than a decade ago, Teatro Visión has seen this production as the potential centerpiece of an annual Día de los Muertos celebration in San José. That's why we're excited to bring it back for a second straight year.
Our goal is to re-think and re-design the play every year to keep it fresh for audiences who experienced previous productions, while also staying true to the core themes of the classic tale. With that in mind, we've added a number of exciting elements to the 2014 production. Here's a Top 10 list, David Letterman-style...
10. Longtime Teatro artistic associate Rodrigo García has taken the director's reins from Artistic Director Elisa Marina Alvarado and helped to realize a new vision for the production.
9. Arturo Magaña of the inimitable Los Lupeños has joined the artistic team to continue the work of esteemed choreographer María de la Rosa, who is serving as a consultant on the production.
8. Composer and Music Director Russell Rodríguez has added two new songs to his original score.
7. The live music ensemble has expanded to five musicians, including Quinteto Latino founder Armando Castellano on the french horn.
6. The show has been almost entirely re-cast, and a dedicated "coro" (or chorus) will join the musicians to create a more seamless storytelling process.
5. We have expanded community participation by adding non-speaking roles for students of our teatro classes at the School of Arts and Culture.
4. New visual elements — such as mojingas and large calavera puppet-like masks — will make the show even more vibrant, colorful, and entertaining.
3. Prior to the production, our cast and crew will assemble a muertos altar in the theater lobby.
2. On Sunday, October 12th, Teatro will host a food resource fair in the theater lobby prior to the $15 community matinee. This is a great opportunity to learn about local organizations fighting for food justice.
1. The Gala Night reception on Saturday, October 11th, features a celebration of Teatro Visión's 30th anniversary of nurturing community through powerful live theater.
Support the Production
MACARIO is the most ambitious production in Teatro Visión's 30-year history. But like all of our work, it wouldn't be possible without the support of generous financial, community, and media partners, as well as hundreds of individuals like you.
We invite you to join them by making a donation today. Every gift helps us provide additional opportunities for our community to engage in the arts through unique trainings and professional performances. Click here to learn more about our donor levels and benefits.
If you or your business are interested in sponsorship or advertising opportunities please send us an email for more information.